I got my first jar of coconut oil a few years ago from my bestie’s mum. It sat in my cabinet because I wasn’t too sure what to do with it. Then one day I discovered the benefits of coconut oil. Currently, I stock it in my kitchen and a jar in the bathroom. I plan to buy some itty bitty containers to keep coconut oil in my purse. (Don’t judge me). If there was ever a “miracle in a jar” coconut oil is it. Here are some reasons why i love it:
1) You can cook with it. Coconut oil has a higher heat threshold, making it ideal for higher temperatures. Oils like vegetable oil, canola oil, and even olive oil, can’t handle high heats and will oxidize (i.e. turn rancid) when the temperature gets too high.
2) You moisturize with it. I threw out all my froo-froo smelling lotions when I learned that the majority of the ingredients were carcinogenic. Coconut oil doesn’t have fake colors, fragrances, aluminum, parabens, propylene glycol, or sodium laurel sulfate.
It’s also a myth that people with oily skin should not use oil-based beauty products. What really happens is that washing your face too much and using toxic lotions will strip your skin of it’s natural oils, causing it to produce more. Coconut oil will balance your skin’s natural oil production. I no longer deal with an oily face!
3) I use it as a mousse. I tried quite a few natural mousse/gel products for my curly hair, but nothing impressed me. Especially at the price I paid. But coconut oil works better than anything I’ve tried in the past! I don’t use much, mostly focusing on the ends and the top layer to prevent frizz.
4) I protect from sunburn with it. It’s no secret that I don’t wear sunscreen. But I will put on a layer of coconut oil if I’m going to be in the sun for more than an hour or two. This also works with high quality olive oil (but has the potential to look ridiculous if you aren’t a muscular male from the Mediterranean…)
Coconut oil also works wonders for a sunburn. I rarely peel from a sunburn due to my dark skin so its a plus plus for me.
5) I use it on scratches, wounds, breakouts & bug bites. Because coconut oil has antimicrobial products, I apply it to any part of my skin that needs to be kept clean in order to heal properly.
You can find coconut oil at pretty much any natural health food store (always get unrefined!).
But you’ll find a much better price if you order it online.
So, do you love coconut oil as much as I do? Have you ever even used it before? Maybe you have a new use. Share away!