Fashion and film lovers, here’s a great opportunity you shouldn’t miss.
The British CouncilÂ (in partnership withÂ Lagos Fashion and Design Week) calls for applications from filmmakers with a deep interest in as a theme, adding range to their body of work and contributions made to art.
This fashion film workshop will take participants through the central aspects of the fashion filmmaking process. The workshop includes:
- An illustrated introduction to film language using examples of fashion film;
- Introductions to planning, shooting and editing a fashion film. Â
- Participants then plan, film and edit a simple sequence.
CRITERIA (who should apply)
The workshop is open to filmmakers and their teams which should include a minimum of the following: editor and director of photography / lighting technician. The team can also include art director (optional).
Each selected film making team will work with a design team comprising â€“ fashion designer, stylist, hair / makeup stylist.
- Experienced filmmakers, especially those interested in producing short films and experimenting in the genre
- Applicants should be able to assemble the team required to produce their film (as listed and underlined above)
Download the application formÂ here.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED (you need to provide)
- HD Cameras (e.g. Canon 7) for each film maker
- Laptops with Final Cut Pro software
- Lighting equipment for the shoots
- Access to a location to shoot fashion film
In preparation for the workshop participants are expected to spend a bit of time thinking about their concept for their film and prepare:
- Concept outline/mood board. This could be visual references for inspiration and express what they are hoping to achieve â€“Â it might be written, but also could include imagery, examples of settings, lighting, shots, films, styling or art direction for example.Â This can be physical or online â€“ i.e. pinterest/clipboard
- Select 1 fashion film they think is good and explain why. The links below show some examples of fashion film but applicants are expected to carry out more research to respond to the question
Yoko Ono â€“ Fluxist Artist â€“ early sixties movement inspired by Dadaists.
Interplay of art/ commerce and music.
- Film 2 â€“ Performance and fashion â€“Â Alexander MCQueen â€“ Savage BeautyÂ S/S 2001 â€“ Mirrored box
- Film 3 â€“ Victor & RolfÂ –Â Dance and Performance â€“ Paris / Toyko 06
- Film 4 â€“Â Vogue â€“ MadonnaÂ â€“ 1990 by David Fincher
- Identify 2-3 potential, accessible shooting locations with consideration to a variety of settings, including indoors, outdoors, studios,
- Selected participants will be given a brief in advance of the workshop to guide them on this preparation
DATES / SCHEDULE
Monday 9 September 2013 -Â (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (ifÂ necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Introduction to Fashion Film
- Creating a concept, mood boards treatment, storyboards, shot list
Tuesday 10 September 2013 â€“ (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (ifÂ necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Location Recce & b Shoot set up
- Shoot on location
Wednesday 11 September 2013 (designer, director, stylist, hair/makeup, art director (ifÂ necessary), editor and a director of photography)
- Shoot on location
Thursday 12 September 2013 (designer, director,Â editor)
- Sound to visual exercise
Friday 13 September Â 2013 (designer, director,Â editor)
- Present films to all participants
For more information, please visit www.graceladoja.com