Tears in my eyes! See Touching Messages to Parents from Missing Children as Korean Ship Sank

sinking-ship

This is so sad! With 270 people mainly students from Danwon High School missing, police say the school vice principal who had been rescued from a sinking South Korean ferry has been found hanging from a tree. According to the Police, the principal identified as Kang was found dead on the island where rescued passengers have taken shelter. Did he think he wouldn’t be able to face the backlash from parents?

AP reports that the news of the death came Friday as rescuers scrambled to find hundreds of people still missing from the ferry and feared dead. The passengers included 325 students heading to a southern island on a four-day trip.

It has been revealed that the captain of the ship and all crew members except one survived and a new video recorded by one of the missing children shows the crew telling the kids not to move.
Those who didn’t obey instructions survived while those who stayed put sank and are yet to be found.
Passenger Koo Bon-hee, 36, told the Associated Press news agency that many people were trapped inside by windows that were too hard to break. He wanted to escape earlier but an announcement said passengers should stay put.

If people had jumped into the water … they could have been rescued. But we were told not to go out.The announcement told us that we should stay still, but the ship was already sinking and there were a lot of students who did not get out of the ship.

See some touching messages from some kids to their parents…

Korea-Ferry-Disaster

This might be the last chance to say I love you,” one student named as Shin Young-Jin is reported to have texted his mother.

“Why’s that,” his mother texted back, clearly unaware of the crisis engulfing the vessel. “I love you anyway.”
Officials have confirmed 28 deaths. But that number is expected to rise sharply.

But other parents who received such messages have not been reunited with their children. Another exchange between one student and her father was recounted by the AFP news agency and local media:

Student: “Dad, don’t worry. I’m wearing a life vest and am with other girls. We’re inside the ship, still in the hallway.”
Father: “I know that the rescue is under way, but shouldn’t you be waiting outside the rail? Try to get out if you can.”
Student: “The ship is too tilted. The hallway is crowded with so many people.”

In another text exchange which went viral on South Korean media, a student texted his older brother as the ship ran into trouble.

Student: “The ship ran into something and it’s not moving. They say the coast guard just arrived.”
Brother: “Don’t panic. Just do what you are told to do and then you will be fine”.
But there was no further communication after that.

Park Yu-Shin, whose daughter is among the missing, told the AFP news agency that she talked to her daughter as she was coping with the emergency.
She was telling me: ‘We’re putting on our life vests. They’re telling us to wait and stay put, so we’re waiting…I can see a helicopter“, Ms Park said. Her daughter is still among the missing.

Reports that messages have been received from students still trapped inside the ferry have not been verified.

14 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Sandy April 21, 2014 at 5:12 PM - Reply

I have never heard of this Korean sinking ship tragedy. It is so sad, very depressing to think about the families tore apart. I rarely watch the news because I get too depressed when I see such tragedy that happens in the world.

2. A.K.Andrew @artyyah April 21, 2014 at 6:15 PM - Reply

The tragedy itself was bad enough & then the head teacher hangs himself?? Awful. These messages are all v. poignant. Hard to make sense of things like this.

3. Lenie April 21, 2014 at 6:39 PM - Reply

I can’t imagine anything worse than sending your child off on what should be a fun school trip and have it end like this. My heart and my prayers go to all those people.
    Lenie

4. Tim April 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM - Reply

It’s hard to process this kind of tragedy as a bystander. I can’t imagine what it must be like for someone intimately involved.

5. jankedonna April 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM - Reply

The messages between the kids and their parents are heart-wrenching.

• Gist missy April 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM - Reply

Totally heartbreaking. There was tears in my eyes as i published it 🙁

6. Paul Graham April 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM - Reply

Very touching indeed. Technology will now permit more such messages

7. Welli April 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM - Reply

Definately a story that brings tears to one’s eyes. The sad realities of life. Somethings just should not happen but they do. One wished they could stop all bad things from happening, but you cannot.

8. Arleen April 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM - Reply

The sinking of the ship was a tragedy. A similar situation happened when the World Trade Center was bombed. People were told not to leave the building. Both situations are hard to take.

• Gist missy April 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM - Reply

When you find yourself in such situations, sometimes your brain functions in a weird way. So many thoughts flying through your head. The first thing you think of is to follow instructions. Its so sad for those kids.

9. jbutler1914 April 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM - Reply

Very sad messages.

10. Jay April 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM - Reply

this was and is still on the news since last week. what is even more sad is that they go from this story to the missing plane story. It just keeps going back and forth. Both of these are so sad that I have no words to describe it.

11. Michele Harvey April 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM - Reply

Although I truly believe that things always turn out exactly the way they are supposed to, It’s such a shame the ship’s passengers were given incorrect instructions by a supposedly trained crew. Although this experience was probably the first of its kind for the crew, the instructions they gave are difficult to understand from where I sit and it’s so sad.

12. andleeb April 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM - Reply

I did not check this in news. This has really depressed me. It is really sad to know about many missing students and deaths. My prayers on the way.

Leave A Response