In recent years, the natural African hair has been described as stylish, trendy and a symbol of beauty for the African woman.
Lots of women are already ditching all the assorted relaxers and other hair chemicals for the all natural look. However, maintaining a healthy natural hair in our Nigerian weather can be really daunting.
Here are 10 tips on how to keep your natural Afro looking chic, stylish and easy to handle:
1. Wash your hair bi-weekly.
2. Retain moisture by applying conditioner as needed. (Shea Butter)
3. Deep Condition your hair at least once a month.
4. Twist and tuck the ends of your hair nightly.
5. Prevent shedding and hair loss by using protective styles such as braids, wigs, etc.
6. Maintain moisture at all times by spraying water on your hair daily.
7. It is advised that you also drink plenty of water, as being healthy means your hair is healthy.
8. Take multivitamins to ensure you maintain healthy hair, especially B-12.
9. Avoid heat when sporting natural hair because it is similar to relaxed hair, it can be damaged.
10. Avoid spending an exorbitant amount on specialty products. Women have had healthy natural hair before expensive boutique brands were created, donâ€™t be compelled to go into debt trying to purchase the next best hair conditioner.