Amoeba eats Student’s Eyeballs, After Leaving Contact Lens for 6 Months

eyes

Are you kidding me?

According to a report by Daily Mail, a Taiwanese student Lian Kao, recently became blind due to eyeball-eating amoebas which formed on her eyes.

The deadly organisms formed after she ‘knowingly’ left her contacts in for six months straight without changing or even bothering to clean the lens. She even left it on while sleeping and swmimming.

This created a breeding ground for an acanthamoeba infection to form in her contacts and eventually, her corneas. The Amoebas dug into her eyeballs, eating it up and causing her to go blind.

According to Wu Juan-liang, the director of ophthalmology at Taipei’s Wan Fang Hospital:

“A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground.
The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas.”

GISTvillers, please be careful with your contacts. I stopped using them when i noticed i had severe headaches whenever i put them on. For others who are addicted to eye contacts especially for medical reasons, make sure you have a good hygiene and take proper care of the contacts and your eyes to avoid ‘Had i known’. Please o!

Leave A Response